India's Most Eminent Visas and Immigration Consultant

Start Your Free Assesment Here..

Where do you live?
Where do you want to go?
Complete our Free visa assessment form today to make the complex visa application process simple.

Quick Enquiry Pointer

Click here to submit

Quick Enquir


I agree with the T&C and Privacy Policy

A guide to emigrating to and living in Austria

Arguably one of the most beautiful countries in Europe, Austria has spectacular scenery and clean streets and cities.

Yet despite having a large immigrant community which is even bigger than in the US (in terms of percentages), Austria has a reputation for being difficult to move to and even more challenging to settle in.

We run through the visa requirements to make a move to Austria as well as some of the important aspects you should know about life in the country.

Do I need a visa?

Any member of the EU is able to live and work in Austria without the need for a visa, but if you plan on staying for more than three months you may be asked to prove that you can support yourself financially without becoming a drain on public funds.

If you are travelling into the country from outside the EU, you will need to apply for a visa in order to enter. 

Austria operates strict quota rules about the number of non-nationals who are permitted to enter the country and become part of the labour market. Once this quota has been exceeded (and this is broken down into individual provinces as well as nationwide) visas will only be granted in certain circumstances. Examples of permissible exemptions include individuals working in professions which are in short supply in Austria or to allow the applicant to enter would be advantageous for the Austrian market. 

 living in Austria
                                                       Austria is one of Europe's great countries.

If you don't plan on securing work but instead want a resident's permit, you will need to apply for either an Aufenthaltsbewilligung (temporary permit) or a Niederlassungsbewilligung (permanent residence permit) in your home country. 

What documents will I need to submit to obtain a residence permit?

When completing your application for a residence permit, there are a number of different documents you must provide to support your request. These are as follows:

  • An up to date, valid and signed passport
  • Copies of previous passports
  • A completed application form - note: these are only available in German
  • A passport sized photograph
  • An original or certified copy of your birth certificate
  • Evidence of health, accident and travel insurance
  • Evidence of financial security
  • Evidence of where you intend to live (a copy of a lease for example)
  • If being sponsored by an Austrian resident, a statement of financial liability

The last five documents must be translated into German and an additional photocopy of all documents must also be included.

Registering on arrival

Once you have arrived in the country, you have three days to register with your local registration service, known as the Meldeservice.

This compulsory registration of address, Meldepflicht, used to be handled by police stations so in older literature may be referred to as 'registering with the police' even though it is, and always has been, a civil matter.

You will also need to get your Anmeldebestatigung, another type of registration. This document will be needed to unlock a lot of different types of red tape, and without it you won't be able to get a mobile phone, open a bank account or buy a car. 

migrate to Austria

Medical care

If you plan on staying in Austria for a longer period of time, you will be expected to contribute for medical care. This is usually done by paying a local social organisation known as the Sozialversicherungstrager.

If you are in employment deductions for health insurance contributions will normally be deducted at source and passed to the relevant body on your behalf. 
If you need to call an ambulance, the number is 144 whilst 141 is the number for the on-call GP service (the Arztefunkdienst). 

There is also a Foreign Patients Service run from Vienna, this allows you to not only select a doctor with the speciality that you want, but you can also pick the language, location and opening hours to fit your needs.

HaHa , This number is not the website Hits count.
This is the Counseling Count.


Amazing Counseling Sessions
Offered, Free of Cost

Disclaimer - MoreVisas immigration service Pvt.Ltd. does not offer consulting on student visas/ Overseas jobs/work permits/international or domestic placements.
Chat Icon

Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

chat icon