India's Most Eminent Visas and Immigration Consultant

Start Your Free Assesment Here..

Where do you live?
Where do you want to go?
Complete our Free visa assessment form today to make the complex visa application process simple.

Quick Enquiry Pointer

Click here to submit

Quick Enquir


I agree with the T&C and Privacy Policy

Sponsored Spouses and Common-Law Partners Benefit from IRCC extension of Open Work Permit Pilot

December 2017, 16
EMAIL  Print A+
The Canadian Government has extended the Pilot meant for Open Work Permit for the categories of common-law partners and sponsored spouses who submit an application for permanent residence.

IRCC has issued an update and now this Pilot will be extended until January 31, 2019. The purpose is to ensure that applicants can do some work, as well as earn a provision for their families besides making a contribution to the economy of Canada in the waiting period while their applications are processed.

All common-law partners and Spouses, who live in Canada, and are sponsored, by its permanent residents, or citizens, on the application for gaining PR status in the SCLPC class, stand eligible to get an open work permit. They are required to have a valid temporary resident status, in the capacity of a visitor, worker, or student and must reside at the same address with their sponsors.

This Pilot commenced in 2014 with the commitment of the country to reunite the families. The present extension is the third of its kind. It was extended on Dec. 7, 2016, and that extension was scheduled to run out on 21st December 2017.

IRCC has mentioned that Family reunification was an important priority in immigration for the Government. When the families live and work together, the process of integration improves further.

Method to get the Open Work Permit

The Applicants who submit a new application in this Pilot must give an application for work permit simultaneously with the sponsorship application, accompanying the application for PR status.

The Applicants, who have given an application to get a PR status but have not received a permit to work so far, need to submit an application separately.

IRCC said that persons who gained a work permit through the pilot program need to apply for an extension of work permit before the expiry of the present permit.

For more immigration updates, follow us on FacebookGoogle+ and LinkedIn.

HaHa , This number is not the website Hits count.
This is the Counseling Count.


Amazing Counseling Sessions
Offered, Free of Cost

Disclaimer - MoreVisas immigration service Pvt.Ltd. does not offer consulting on student visas/ Overseas jobs/work permits/international or domestic placements.
Chat Icon

Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

chat icon